Northern Municipal Cemetery (Cimetière communal nord)
In addition to an extensive ensemble of civilian funerary heritage, the site has two memorials to French soldiers from Comines killed during the Franco-Prussian War, graves of victims of both World Wars, one of the last German monuments erected during the First World War still standing in the region (included in the ‘Pioneer’ cross-border cycling and car touring itineraries) and a WWII British park.
- Where: Rue du Bas Chemin
Southern Municipal Cemetery (Cimetière communal sud)
In this cemetery, you will find a monument to the fallen French, crowned with an infantryman’s helmet and erected between the world wars, in tribute to the victims of the world wars in the Sainte Marguerite district.
- Where: Boulevard de Lille
The German cemetery
Some 1,964 German soldiers (including a General) are buried in this cemetery.
- Where: Route de Linselles in Quesnoy-sur-Deûle
The German cemetery
This First World War cemetery has an entranceway made of natural stone. Features nameplates for identifying the victims of the war.
- Where: 57 Rue des Pérenchies
Landscaped German Cemetery (Cimetière allemand paysager)
This cemetery situated across from Mont Garin farm is where 5,000 soldiers were buried in 1920.
- Where: Rue de Verlinghem in Lambersart
The French Infantryman Statue
The memorial on Place de la Victoire to the soldiers who died for France has a bronze statue of a soldier throwing a grenade. Dating from 1923, the Statue du Poilu is the work of Henri Soubricas, a renowned local sculptor.
- Where: Place de la Victoire in Lambersart
Canteleu Cemetery Rotunda (La rotonde du cimetière de Canteleu)
Visible from the entrance to the cemetery, the rotunda dates from 1927. It features the tomb of an unknown soldier with a bronze statue of a recumbent infantryman, sculpted by Henri Soubricas.
- Address: Rue Auguste Bonte
Municipal Cemetery (Le cimetière communal)
This cemetery has a military section for Commonwealth soldiers and a monument to the victims of the First World War.
- Where: Rue du Général Leclerc
Monument to the Fallen
This war memorial has two urns bearing engraved texts, with the left-hand urn commemorating the First World War.
- Where: 89 Rue du Général Leclerc
Fort du Vert Galant
Built by General Séré de Rivières to protect Lille, Vert Galant Fort was used by German troops as a rear base during the First World War. During the Second World War, 90 hostages and Resistance fighters were executed here. A monument and a plaque at the entrance commemorate their sacrifice.
- Where: Rue du Vert Galant
La Dacquerie German Cemetery (Le cimetière allemand de la Dacquerie)
As the hamlet of La Dacquerie occupied a strategic position, an observation post was set up here by a lime tree in 1915. The bodies of 2,655 soldiers were buried in this area. The site is marked by a monument. A list of the victims can be found in a niche in the pillar at the entrance.
- Where: Rue de Quesnoy