The first text to mention the name of Pérenchies is a parchment dating from 1101. Back then, the land in the town was owned by the eponymous lords. The Pérenchies coat of arms features the weapons they carried. The land was passed down through the generations from father to son. By the early 19th century, the village counted 151 houses and 735 residents within its borders. The population shot up in the 1800s with the arrival of the textile industry. Pérenchies went from being a farming village to an industrial town. The town is known for its local speciality: a plum tart with a thick crust, which lent its name to the town effigies: Mr and Mrs Tartaprônes!
Come and visit the church of Saint Léger and its stunning crystal chandelier. The first foundation stone of the new church, located on Place du Général de Gaulle, was laid on 29 November 1863. The edifice was designed by architect Charles Leroy. It was partly destroyed in 1914 and reconstructed in 1924. Before 1863, the former church, which was circled by a cemetery, stood on the park you see today on Rue du Général Leclercq.
The Pérenchies effigies
Following a jumble sale in 1936, the Commercial Union decided to make its own giant effigies. After months of work, in 1937 Mr and Mrs Tartaprônes were born. Their bodies are made of wicker and wood. They were completely remade in 2003 thanks to Mr Tricart. They measure 4.5 m tall and can be carried by two people or on castors.
Saint Léger’s Spring
The spring was discovered in Pérenchies in 1969 and has been exploited ever since. The site was expanded in 1991 with a bottling facility for still and sparkling water that is produced on site.
Fort Leisure Park - (Base de Loisirs du Fort)
This leisure park offers various sports (mini golf, croquet, traditional regional games), activities (volleyball, tennis, ice-skating, adventure trails) and picnic areas. The site also hosts major annual events such as Bastille Day (14 July), the medieval festival, the horse festival and the water festival.